Friday, September 2, 2011

In Praise of Mud: A Little Dirt Won't Hurt

As next Thursday approaches, I am beginning to prepare for There Will Be Mud: Water Play with Me!.  I am plotting the logistics, and I am mostly hoping my yard does not turn into a mudpit--the mud must be contained!

I am tickled to have stumbled upon this enlightening article from the National Wildlife Federation, "It’s in the dirt!"   

It seems that in addition to the developmental benefits of playing with water and soil, the exposure to good bacteria in soil, Mycobacterium vaccae, triggers the release of seratonin, which is known to make us relaxed and improve brain function.

Bottom line for me, it turns out, those parents who let their kids eat a little dirt aren't crazy at all (yes!), and they've got a bunch of relaxed and smart kids to show for it.


No comments:

Post a Comment