Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Now We Are Seven




When I have said my evening prayer,
And my clothes are folded on the chair,
And mother switches off the light,
I'll still be 6 years old tonight.
But from the very break of day,
Before the children rise and play,
Before the darkness turns to gold,
Tomorrow, I'll be 7 years old.
7 kisses when I wake,
7 candles on my cake.

---



In 14 days my older daughter, Mudi, becomes seven years-old.  I am thankful that I have slowed down a little bit, and I seem to be getting my wish of being more "in" the days of parenting.

When I look back on parenting, the Homer Simpson, Doh!, is what I tend to hear myself say, in fact I really see myself as Homer sometimes, minus the Duff beer and power plant job.  I seem to find the intuition, the information and parenting advice I fall in love with, just after the moment has passed, just beyond me.  Today I feel like I am "in"it:  in my shoes, in my parenting, in my home and in the moment.

Seven years is so momentous, and being familiar, with gratitude and awe, with the work of Rudolf Steiner, and the work of so many wise people to follow that lineage, I know it is truly a new chapter for her.  As she begins the next year and next years of childhood, I give us both the gift of starting over again and again.

With the birth of Mirth, now 4 months-old, I feel I am given another opportunity to color the family, create the new, embrace the existing, and hold us dear.  I call it my "do-over."

This birthday for me is the beginning of a new parenthood that I may not do perfectly but won't wish I did differently.

Happy Birthday



No comments:

Post a Comment